Saturday, April 7, 2012

Sweet on Sarvey 2012

So this last Saturday was the Sweet on Sarvey fundraising event, meant as a means to raise money for the center's hectic baby season. I had signed up to volunteer for the event way back at the beginning of March. So at around 9am one of the staff arrived to take me to the event, where we immediately began to set things up. We were the first ones there just about. We were pulling out tables and chairs, when the rest of the set up crew arrived and then the real work began. 

We had tons of stuff donated for the auction this year, on top of decorations and other necessary things. The day started off kind of yucky and damp, so we were unloading the vans in the rain, and hurrying to get everything inside, while a few of the others started adjusting tables and laying down tablecloths. 

Once everything was unloaded I headed back inside where I found myself setting up the auction tables.


These were the tables lining the room where the auction items and artwork would be displayed for the silent auction. The photo above was from the setup process, and so it looks kind of sparse. We ended up with way more stuff than we had room to display on these tables, and actually had to rent another room to display items, as well as set up items in the hall. 
Everyone worked their butts off to get things set up. Even the kids that tagged along helped out as much as they were able to. Here's Margie posing for a picture with the daughter of another staff member. (Hey, at least we were keeping ourselves amused.)

Shortly after I finished setting up the auction tables, one of my leads, Melissa, arrived, and I was whisked off to the kitchen to help prepare things there. The dessert portion of the event was a pretty big deal, so there was a lot to get done. Thankfully we seemed to have an overload of volunteers for the event itself, and I found that about 3-ish I actually had time for a welcome break. I'd been working since 10 after all. So myself, and one of my friends from the center headed outside to where the birds were being photographed. 

Iya was still out for photographing, so of course I had to have my picture taken with her. She's a favorite of mine after all. Afterward we retired to watch the excited attendees make their way nervously to the handler, and have a blast getting their pictures taken. 


I had the chance to talk to Kestrel briefly about being a part of the ed team someday (Probably after baby season), and then it was eagle time. Jeff hadn't quite showed up with Freedom yet, and so Kestrel did her thing and convinced the crowd that they really wanted to see a golden eagle. This was my first time watching Kestrel work a crowd, and I have to say I was really impressed. She's funny, charismatic, and full of information. I watched several people get their picture taken with Hu Iyake and Kestrel, but there are a couple that stood out. 
The first was a much older women. She pretty much exemplifies the sweet little old lady stereotype. Her family helped her out of her wheel chair, and led her over to Kestrel and Hu I. I had seen her take pictures with a couple other birds, and you could tell that she was having a blast. It was adorable. Kestrel held her hand, and she had the opportunity to interact with Hu I a bit before heading back into the crowd.

The second was a young boy, probably in the 10 to 12 range, though I'm really not the best judge of age. This kid was already pretty excited. He had, had his picture taken with Iya earlier, but his parents were letting him approach Kestrel and Hu I by himself. I could tell he was a bit nervous, but Kestrel did a great job directing him, and reassuring him. He had a few pictures taken, and then Kestrel told him to stay very still, because she was going to lift Hu I above his head. And thereabouts came the money shot. Hu Iyake with her wings spread above this kids head, and a grin on his face that clearly communicated that he was blown away and having the time of his life. You never know. Maybe this kid will be one of our volunteers someday. 

Once everyone who wanted a picture had one taken, I headed up to pose with Kestrel and Hu I. I get pretty close to Freedom quite often while volunteering, but I've never had the chance to see Hu Iyake up close, so I was kind of excited for the opportunity. After a few shots of me with my arm around Kestrel, she decided it was time to impress the crowd again, and the next thing I know I'm got a wing over my head. 

Thanks to Mark Olsson for the picture (and all of his hard work during the event)

And so, surprisingly I get my first eagle-hug from Hu Iyake. Kestrel did make sure to explain to the crowd that I was a volunteer, and had already signed a waiver that let me do this sort of thing. From what I can tell Hu Iyake stayed pretty calm throughout the time that she was wrapped around me. Even with me moving my head to talk to Kestrel. It must have been at least 15-20 seconds before she started baiting, which naturally meant I got winged a few times, but hey, I can't say I particularly minded. I kind of like the wing to the face thing now. It's almost like a right of passage.
Shortly after that Hu Iyake was back in her carrier, and Jeff had showed up with Freedom. Freedom wasn't having anything to do with the canopy, and so the photo shoot moved a bit further out. Not long after we noticed David handling Wanbli Askate, and headed over to say hi. I love seeing the primary handlers with their birds. They always seem to have such a neat bond.

Askate is a gorgeous bird too, and one I don't get to photograph often. My current stock lens seems to operate best when it is within a foot of the subject, which is generally not easy to achieve with birds. I'd like to get myself a nice telephoto lens at some point when I'm actually making money. A tripod too now that I think of it.


Soon after that, the bidding closed, and everyone was reeled inside to watch the presentation that had been set up. My friend and I watched for about five minutes before we were wrangled up to help with organizing items that people had won. It wasn't long before a bit of a queue had formed, and the chaos began anew.  I got shuffled around between so many different tasks that it's difficult to remember what I did. But essentially from that moment on, I was geared toward getting everything ready to go. Packing up the items that hadn't been bid on, cleaning, and after everyone left, breaking down the main banquet room. I was in that room up until I was the very last person there, mopping the floors. 

I can honestly say that by that point I was pretty exhausted and sore, and definitely ready to go home for the day. Everything was packed up, and the remaining staff and volunteers were just starting to make their way out the doors by the time we left to head home. It was a long day, but it was good and fulfilling.

  
I wanted to thank everyone for their hard work, and dedication to making things run as smoothly as possible. This was my first time working an event like this, and you guys made it awesome, So thank you.

1 comment:

  1. You were a huge asset that day! Thank you Debra for all your hard work and dedication to Sarvey!! ~ Margie

    ReplyDelete