Saturday, January 21, 2012

Attack of the snow!

Seriously! There has been more snow then I've known what to do with. Unfortunately this also mean no Sarvey. I seem to be on a rotten streak of luck with this lately. In any case, we lost power the first day, and I had pretty much nothing to do, but put on my winter clothes and play around with my new camera outside. Poor me, right?

I tried my first attempt at birding, and failed miserably to be honest. It was mostly a lot of trudging around in the snow, and making too much noise. I don't have the skill for it yet, not that that will stop me. I know there are birds! We have three wetland preserves in our development. There can't not be birds! 

I guess I'm exaggerating. I saw and heard plenty of birds. It was just the capturing them on film part that I failed miserably at. It's hard to get close enough to photograph them without stressing them too much. Otherwise they're fun to watch from a distance. 

So in lieu of the lack of Sarvey, I present to you a post full of snow! 


We started out with maybe around 8 inches of snow when the power went out. It skyrocketed from there. Within an hour he had nearly a foot. 


A view of one of the retention ponds.



My first snow day bird sighting! I'm thinking it might have been a Hooded Merganser, but I can't tell much from the photo, and my memory is not fresh. I'm not so great at identifying water fowl.




My neighbor and I traipsed around the neighborhood, taking photos of anything and everything.

Now some dog photos. My room mates dog loves the snow. In fact she had her nose down inside of it so often that she developed a snowball, dangling from her collar. How this dog wasn't freezing, I will never know.


More dog. Including a guest appearance by the neighbor's dog, Riley.




The aforementioned Riley.

After a long day with no power, everyone retired to the living room where we ate dinner off the grill (I made myself a delicious mediterranean rub for my steak,) And I, still having new toy syndrome, decided to get creative with the gas lamp.




Among other things...



I had an exceedingly difficult time sleeping that night. Between the prevailing quietness, and the cold damp feeling of my blankets, I was bound not to, it seemed. Around seven in the morning I finally gave up, and pulled my winter clothes back on. The sun was just starting to rise, and it was picture taking time, round two.


Tested out a bit more of my accidental macro lens purchase. 



The retention pond was completely frozen over today. Yikes!



I made my way back around to the retention pond later in the day. I was following the sounds of birds, and had been hearing  a particularly interesting repertoire of calls from that direction. I was delighted to find what I believe to be an entire flock of Red-winged blackbirds. I wish I could have gotten a better picture of them, but they were awfully camera shy,



I swear they were taunting me from that tree.


Here are a couple of the girl playing in the reeds around the pond.


Some slightly closer images of the birds that stuck around.


One of the boys hanging out in a tree that he would not let me get close to.

That pretty much concludes my snow day. Hope you enjoyed the pictures.



No comments:

Post a Comment