Saturday, January 21, 2012

Update for last week



Since I was indisposed during the week, and therefore rendered unable to go to the center, I had ample opportunity to write a blog to make up for the former weeks disappointment. I was at the very least able to get my hands on my camera again so I could peruse the photos therein, and select a few to show you.


Before I begin, I'm terribly excited to inform everyone that I was able to procure a new camera. I got myself a Nikon d80 SLR used, and at a pretty reasonable price too. I think altogether I paid around $500 for both the camera body and lens. I'm really aching to use it, but haven't had the chance to do so just yet. I also plan to take up a bit of recreational birding once I've got everything all squared away. I've been seeing a large number of raptors in the fields around the house lately, as well as several other neat wild birds.

That being said, lets move on to what I did at Sarvey the last time I was there.

When I arrived at Sarvey I pretty much went straight into food prep. We started off a little behind it seemed, but I was eager to get to work. After trekking outside to feed the doves, I caught Hu Iyake eating lunch, and snapped a quick picture of her before continuing on my way.





Most of the first hour or so consisted of getting all the afternoon critters fed, and not so much picture taking. Today I was more focused on getting everyone taken care of. I love photographing the animals, but only when I have the time at my leisure to do so.


Once the feeding was over it was off to clean the Educational flights. Back to my normal routine. For the first four flights or so I was still in productive mode, and was too focused to take many pictures. I wanted to make sure we would be able to get everybody cleaned and fed. I did stop, as I often do, to take a picture of Athena, mainly because I've been documenting her comfort level with me over time. Her expression has actually changed slightly since we first met, and while I wouldn't say she's comfortable with me being in her flight, as I’m still technically a very new person to her, she definitely seems to have moved on to begrudging tolerance. If there's one thing I've learned about owls thus far, it's that they are animal firmly routed in routine, and as a result, they take their time adapting to change. As far as I'm concerned, Athena is doing well for a girl her age.



The camera was being temperamental, so the only image of her I got worth sharing was taken later in the evening.


Nanjiska is next in line as far as flights go, and I was ecstatic this time around to find him on the ground, in a great position for photographing. Being the photogenic bird he is, (you really cant take a bad picture of nanjiska,) I was able to take several great pictures, and observe him for awhile. I apologize for the sheer number, but he really is a very good model.









And this was all with my old point and shoot digital camera. Imagine what I'll be able to do with my new one.


Iya was in the clinic today for a check-up. She'd do her usual chitter when she saw me, and I'd feel the need to chitter back. It was kind of nice to be able to see her from the prep table in the kitchen, even if she did snooze the entire time. Once in awhile something would wake her up and I'd hear chitters, and I'd find myself smiling every time. I decided to get her flight good and clean, so it would be ready for her when she was all done inside.

After that it was back outside. I had gotten things caught up to where I usually had them, and from there it was time to move on to flights I didn't normally get the chance to do. I headed over to the hoop flights where I'sta, and Lil D, the peregrine falcons, live. I entered I'sta's flight first. She was having a camera shy day today. Normally she's pretty outgoing in front of the camera, but I could tell she wanted her space, and so that's what she got. The few pictures I snapped after cleaning were from a distance.





I was reluctant to photograph Lil D as I went into her flight. I don’t like to disturb her, as she isn’t comfortable with me yet. Before I left after cleaning I took one quick picture and left her be.




After some inside time, I went to feed the corvids. Heckle and Jeckle were all sorts of happy to see food, and I had fun watching them tackle it.




Rex the raven gave me a bit more trouble getting a good shot, but I still managed at least one decent picture.



Cano was next in the line up. It was time to get his flight all clean while he waited for dinner. He's always so tolerant, and such a good sport. He posed up a storm for me, and looked awfully regal the entire time. He has a tendency toward being easily distracted by things going on outside the flight.







Our Wild Ones Passing Through.


(Next I'll touch base on some of our current rehabilitation animals. These are animals that come to us sick, injured, or too young to care for themselves, and we take them in, nurse them back to health, and get them ready to enjoy their lives in the wild. I don't like to take pictures of these animals, as human contact can be stressful for a wild one.)

At one point in the day, I went to clean the flight of the Osprey I've been checking up on since I started. I was surprised to find a second Osprey recovering in the flight too. He had company! Great! Hopefully having more feathered folk around will help him get back into the swing of things, and reduce stress. For a bird in a rehabilitation setting I imagine having one of your own kind around could be somewhat of a comfort.


The smell was something though. Did you know that Osprey have their own, unique smell. It’s a musky, fishy sort of scent, and definitely one I’d recognize again if I stumbled upon one in the wild. So far, they’re the only bird I’ve encountered with such a strong, natural scent. My personal guess is that it would be a disadvantage for other raptors to have a particularly strong scent, as it would alert their prey to their presence. Ospreys however mainly eat fish, so the biological need to mask itself from prey with a sensitive sense of smell isnt as important. I could be wrong, and there could very well be other reasons for the peculiarity. If you're at all interested start finding out about wild Osprey for yourself. Maybe you can teach me something!

After I finished with the Osprey I moved on to the next, and dare I say, daunting task. Racoons. I have nothing against coons. But my goodness are they messy, and their poop stinks something fierce. Add about an hour spent cleaning their run on top of it, and yeah, it can be a bit of an undertaking. But you know what? It needs to be done., and I don't mind doing it. It can be kind of gross, but that's what a pair of gloves are for.

One thing it's important to know about Racoon's, and a lot of the other mammals we take care of is that they can carry bacteria, Known as Zoonotic Diseases, Illnesses that can be transmitted from animals to humans. Racoons in particular carry Baylisascaris, otherwise known at Racoon Roundworm, and it's one of the things we treat our feet for. Zoonotic diseases can make ourselves, and our other animals, especially birds, very sick. These bacteria aren't harmful to the coons at all, but it does mean that we have to take extra precautions when cleaning some of our critters enclosures. First of all, good washing habits are a basic, and a must. They are your first, and last defense against zoonotic diseases, both for your good, and for the welfare of your fellow wild ones. You should always wash your hands thoroughly after coming into contact with an animal. Even domestic pets like cats and dogs have the potential to make you sick. For instance, did you know you can get strep throat from kissing your dog?

Before we enter, and leave the coon runs we step into a yellow solution, called Trifectant,
that helps eliminate these harmful bacteria from our shoes, so that we don't track it around by accident. Our coons also have all of their own cleaning equipment designated to them, and stored separately from the rest of our equipment. We take great care to ensure the safety of all of the animals under our care.


By the time I finished the coon runs, it was late, and the sun was starting to set. I headed inside to work on the evening feeding and prep work for the next day. By this time I was ready to the break from the more strenuous outside work, and took happily to preparing foods. I took one last trip out that evening, to feed Chesmu, and on my way back I had the opportunity to get a few decent pictures of Celi. Unfortunately most of them have his dinner in them as well, and while I'm comfortable with the site of half eaten rat dinner you may not be. I'll leave you with that for now, as I think I'm due some sleep at this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment